I’m running myself so thin. The new life I’ve painted over you is beginning to crack, and these memories of you I thought I’d forgotten have never been closer to my heart. The thought of knowing I’ve lost you for good scares me more than ever. I find your name slipping out of my mouth more often than I’d like it to. These last few days of summer have begun to look a lot like the days after you left. Take away the tears and mend me a stronger heart, I can say I survived your absence but that doesn’t mean I’m alive.
I’m an empty shell. Just merely a projection of the girl I wish I could truly be someday without you. I hide my insecurities and emotions with half-truths. All these broken hearted girls surrounding me often ask “Are you over him?”
I laugh while I shake my head, but really I just want to cry but I’ve forgotten how.
“No, I’m not.” And they frown because I’ve distorted their image of me being their shallow sliver of hope that one day they’ll come as far as this. But you will, I wanna say. I’m just the girl who runs in circles.
It’s hard to imagine my life without the best friend I’ve had for so many years.
If it makes me weaker to say I miss you, then I’ll be weak.
I miss you.